Dunkin the Bunny

Dunkin the Bunny
Exploring his new surroundings

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Decimals, Comparing and Writing. OH MY!

Hey everyone!

   So last night mom let me sleep anywhere I wanted, but I stayed under the bed in my room. Well, in the morning Mom came in to wake me up, I was grouchy. Since Mom was running behind this morning, Dad was in charge of putting me in my carrier. HAH! That meant it was game on! He kept trying to get me into it and at the last minute I would hop really fast under the bed so he couldn't catch me. Somehow he outsmarted me though cause he was able to reach me. Like I mentioned, I was little on the grouchy side so when the fun was over and he was able to get me, I started snorting at him. Yea, that is right, just like a little pig! Eventually Mom and Dad got me in my carrier, but that made Mom run late, so she wasn't too happy with me.


   She was in a better mood once we got to school. I was so excited to see all my friends again, some of them even came in early to tell me good morning and ask about how I felt about my first day. My friends are awesome!

  We read Because of Winn Dixie as a class today, and man that is a great book! We worked on reviewing how to compare characters, and my friends did a great job. As I was talking to my friends, they told me that I could compare characters of different species!! COOL, who would've thought you could do that?! Well, I ended up comparing Opal and Winn-Dixie.

  Then something really cool happened! Our principal, Mr. Nesloney, came to teach us about comparing decimals using math signs. Ok I don't know about you, but this is tricky for me. It is  especially hard trying to remember the place values after decimals. He is one smart principal though, because he knew that we were having a tough time, so he taught us a really awesome way to remember the place value! So here is what you do when remembering the place value to the thousandths place:

1. When you see the decimal, hit it with your hand and say "BOOM!"
2. Then we name each space or place value after the decimal  (._ _ _) like this: Tom, Heard, Thunder (. T H TH)


WHOAAA! That works!! It follows the place values, the first place after the decimal is the tenths (Tom), the second is Hunderedths (Heard), the third is thousandths (Thunder)! I know I'm definitely going to use this strategy for place value.

By the way, online friends, does anybody else have another cool way they taught or remember comparing decimals or place value that could help me and my friends? Please leave me a comment because we would LOVEEEE the help!

  On to what we did for writing- Our class has started to do something really cool, we write a personal narrative from my point of view. My buddy Javarian did so well that Mom, Miss Boswell, wanted to feature his writing. He wrote about when my cage door opened and I was allowed to hop around the room. It goes like this:

"I was about to hope out of my cage, but I could smell the fear coming from Javarian." WHOA he wrote from my point of view and included himself. He also took a sentence starter that Ms. French-Fry taught us yesterday!

I hope I get to hop around the room again tomorrow cause I had lots of fun with that, especially when I got to work with Juanito's small group comparing Pre-historic Texas and Modern Texas! I also managed to jump over some of my friends like hurdles when they were reading. (I mean come on now, how can a bunny resist jumping over things!)


Well it is time to end another awesome day. I need to study for my math test tomorrow, let me know if you know of other ways to remember how to compare decimals, or even adding and subtracting whole numbers, and I will study them tonight!

I wish I was at the hot dog cook out that my school is doing with all my friends, but we had to get home to Mallory so we could have family time. Plus Mom says I'm not allowed to eat hot dogs. She did, however, make my favorite for dinner: romaine lettuce, cilantro and parsley all cut up...YUM!

Here are some pictures that Mom took today!

 Justo showing me how to find my answers.

Small group work with Juanito, Daniela and Mrs. Pace



As always, have a hoppy evening!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment